Opener- “The Greatest” Alabama Shakes – 2015 (3:45)
- Sit in the circle
- Have out your notebook and pen
- Write down the date and “Free Write for the rest of the song”
Whip around 1- What’s one word or phrase that really stands out to you?
Whip 2- Explain why this word or phrase stood out- Could be an association, the phrasing, the connection, the truth, the lies, etc…
Mini-Lesson – Importance of thinking deeper and more reflectively.
- Look at the opening questions: What are your strengths and weaknesses? What are your goals in life?
- How do I attack these?
- Why is it important?
- What’s the time frame?
- Me-2-We Presentations
- Due on Friday, September 18
- Me to We – 2015
Let’s look together- think about making observations, and how to apply the thinking to yourself.
Class time- Work off the handouts.
Closing Circle- How much did we get done today? What are your Next Steps for tomorrow?
Overview of the course-
- In this group will be looking closely at texts (books, short stories, songs, pictures, films, etc…).
- It’s a skill called “close reading” and if you can master that then high school and college will be a breeze.
- We meet:
Monday 5th 301 Tuesday 2nd library Wed 3rd library Thurs 3rd library Frid 3rd library
- You will need: Notebook, pens, a basic computer literacy.
- Grading- This will take the place of your Social Studies grade. I will cover topics that are similar to Mr. Marcos’s but through a different lens.
- If you can check this class website- http://www.lyonsela.wordpress.com – that would be very helpful to us.
- If you know how to log in to your Lyons Google Drive account that would be extremely helpful
- This class will be more project and skill based than your other classes.