Opener- “Get Down” Nas 2002 (4:04)
- Sit in the circle
- Have out your notebook and pen
Identify some key words in this opening-
New York streets where killers’ll walk like Pistol Pete
And Pappy Mason, gave the young boys admiration
Prince from Queens and Fritz from Harlem
Whip around 1- What’s one word or phrase that really stands out to you?
Whip 2- Explain why this word or phrase stood out- Could be an association, the phrasing, the connection, the truth, the lies, etc…
Mini-Lesson -Review Identifying Key Words and Phrases in a text Quiz #1.
Student Learning Targets:
- I can identify key words and phrases in a text.
- I can work to interpret the meaning of these words and phrases in a text.
- I can work to find and understand the hidden meanings of these words and phrases in a text.
Class time – Work On Quiz
- Finish Early- Do the Bonus or Read.
Closing Circle- How comfortable do we feel with this first step of close reading?