Opener- “Shake It Off” Taylor Swift 2014 (4:01)
- Sit in the circle
- Have out your notebook and pen
Write down the date
What are some things that other people do that might bother you? And what do you do to shake them off?
Whip around 1- What’s one word or phrase that really stands out to you?
Whip 2- Let’s work together to interpret the quote in our own words.
Mini-Lesson -Close Reading Strategies #2
Student Learning Targets:
- I can identify key words and phrases in a text.
- I can work to interpret the meaning of these words and phrases in a text.
- I can work to find and understand the hidden meanings of these words and phrases in a text.
What are the verbs and nouns in these student learning targets?
- Yesterday I made a mistake, I asked you to interpret lines and we’re not really there yet. The Key verb was interpret (put into your own words, find meaning).
- Thinking about last week, we don’t really have to know why a word or phrase is important for this step.
- We DO need to recognize that some words or phrases matter. AND WE TRY TO POINT TO THEM.
- This week, We are starting to think about WHY the word or phrase that you are identifying IS important.
SLT/Grade 55 70 85 100 I can work to interpret the meaning of these words and phrases in a text. I made no attempt I am putting important words and phrases of a text into my own words, but my meanings might not be clear. I am putting important words and phrases of a text into my own words. My interpretations are basic and accurate. I am putting the words and phrases of a text into my own words. My interpretations add new meaning to the text.
- Let’s Look At the Lyrics from the opening song- “Shake It Off” by Taylor Swift (we will start looking at more difficult texts soon enough)
Identify-Key Words and Phrases in the first stanza.
Read Aloud- “Shake It Off”
- What are the key words?
- What do they mean?
Class time (can be done with a partner)- 10 minutes
- Finish Reading Shake It Off- Interpret into your own words.
Question- In Taylor Swift’s song “Shake It Off”, what are some criticisms that Taylor faces and how does she react to them? Use textual evidence to support your claim.
Closing Circle- How comfortable do we feel with this first step of close reading?