Opener- “Uncle Sam Goddamn” Brother Ali 2007 (4:51)
- Sit in the circle
- Have out your notebook and pen
Write down the date
When you think of The United States, what comes to mind and why?
Whip around 1- What’s one word or phrase that really stands out to you?
Whip 2- Let’s work together to interpret the quote in our own words.
Mini-Lesson -Close Reading Strategies #2
Student Learning Targets:
- I can identify key words and phrases in a text.
- I can work to interpret the meaning of these words and phrases in a text.
- I can work to find and understand the hidden meanings of these words and phrases in a text.
What are the verbs and nouns in these student learning targets?
- Yesterday I made a mistake, I asked you to interpret lines and we’re not really there yet. The Key verb was interpret (put into your own words, find meaning).
- Thinking about last week, we don’t really have to know why a word or phrase is important for this step.
- We DO need to recognize that some words or phrases matter. AND WE TRY TO POINT TO THEM.
- This week, We are starting to think about WHY the word or phrase that you are identifying IS important.
SLT/Grade 55 70 85 100 I can work to interpret the meaning of these words and phrases in a text. I made no attempt I am putting important words and phrases of a text into my own words, but my meanings might not be clear. I am putting important words and phrases of a text into my own words. My interpretations are basic and accurate. I am putting the words and phrases of a text into my own words. My interpretations add new meaning to the text.
- Yesterday we looked at a pretty basic text, so the highest you could really get was an 85. Today we’ll be looking at a more difficult text, “Uncle Sam Goddamn” by Brother Ali.
Identify-Key Words and Phrases in the first stanza.
Read Aloud- “Uncle Sam Goddamn”
- What are the key words?
- What do they mean?
Class time (can be done with a partner)- 10 minutes
- If you are still working on “Identifying key words and phrases” then do that.
- If you feel comfortable identifying, then move on to the next step, Interpreting what the words mean (put them in your own words).
- Question- In his song “Uncle Sam Goddamn,” Brother Ali shares some thoughts on the United States of America. What are his thoughts on The United States? Use textual evidence to support your claim.
Closing Circle- How comfortable do we feel with this first step of close reading?