Opener- “Strange Fruit” “Billie Holliday (3:21, 1965)
- Sit in the circle
- Have out your notebook and pen
Write down the date
Think of the word “JUSTICE.” What are some ideas that come to mind when you see this word?
Whip around 1- What’s one word or phrase that really stands out to you?
Whip 2- Let’s work together to interpret the quote in our own words.
Mini-Lesson -Close Reading Strategies #2
Student Learning Targets:
- I can identify key words and phrases in a text.
- I can work to interpret the meaning of these words and phrases in a text.
- I can work to find and understand the hidden meanings of these words and phrases in a text.
What are the verbs and nouns in these student learning targets?
- Yesterday I made a mistake, I asked you to interpret lines and we’re not really there yet. The Key verb was interpret (put into your own words, find meaning).
- Thinking about last week, we don’t really have to know why a word or phrase is important for this step.
- We DO need to recognize that some words or phrases matter. AND WE TRY TO POINT TO THEM.
- This week, We are starting to think about WHY the word or phrase that you are identifying IS important.
SLT/Grade 55 70 85 100 I can work to interpret the meaning of these words and phrases in a text. I made no attempt I am putting important words and phrases of a text into my own words, but my meanings might not be clear. I am putting important words and phrases of a text into my own words. My interpretations are basic and accurate. I am putting the words and phrases of a text into my own words. My interpretations add new meaning to the text.
- Yesterday we looked at a pretty a difficult text but didn’t tie it to any prior knowledge. Today we are looking at a loaded text with a great amount of background information.
Identify-Key Words and Phrases in the first stanza.
Read Aloud- “Strange Fruit”
- What are the key words?
- What do they mean?
Look again and At the Song-
Closing Circle- How comfortable do we feel with this first step of close reading?