Intro- Whip Around- How did you get to school today?
Count Off- Take Seats-
Reading- “The Landlady” by Roald Dahl pages 1-2
- Different Reading Responses – tape on the inside of your notebook.
- General Grading Criteria
- Have BOTH NOTEBOOKS ON YOUR DESK
(Copy) Date: 9/13/16
- I can effectively summarize and respond to both class and independent texts.
- I can set up my HW Notebook in ELA Class
- Set up HW notebook
- Read Aloud-
- Respond to pages 1-2 of “The Landlady” – this is tonight’s hw!!!
- Share responses at table.
- Hand In Class Notebook
Full Class Circle-
- Challenge- Birthday Challenge- Quiz on Friday
- One thing that you’re excited for, or nervous about in ELA class.
(COPY)- Stream of Consciousness –
a person’s thoughts and conscious reactions to events, perceived as a continuous flow.
a literary style in which a character’s thoughts, feelings, and reactions are depicted in a continuous flow uninterrupted by objective description or conventional dialogue.
Share- Go Around at Your Tables and share your responses.
SLT- I can embody the norms and structures of ELA 8.
Full Body Contract Review
After reading through the expectations of the class and our Learning Comes First initiative as a school, it’s time to start thinking about what that actually looks like. If we’re planning to be learning and challenging ourselves this year, what does our body physically need to be doing?
- Facilitator (Group Leader)
- Materials Keeper (Pen/Marker/Giant Paper/Piece Of Tape/Scissors)
- On your paper, trace someone from your group.
- Then as a group, have a discussion for each of the following body parts on the same general question- what does _____ look like when you’re putting Learning First and following our class norms?
- Summarize your discussion near the body part on your large paper.
- Hands and Arms
- Feet and Legs
- Your Body and Trunk
- Fill in the rest of your body. Does not need to be or look like the person that you traced.
Homework starts tonight. 30 Minutes of Reading, 2-3 Sentence Reaction/Summary, 1 Page of Independent Writing