Circle Around The Room-
Announcement- Writing Conferences are beginning. The goal is for a teacher to meet individually with every student about This I Believe Essay and Anecdote Writing.
- Learning Comes First Full Body.
- Reminder- The Red Norm!!!!
- Same Groups – Ace, King, Queen, Jack, 10, 9, TAKE OUT ELA HW
Timer- “The Passenger” – Iggy Pop (1973, 4:44)
DO THIS- Prompt– List some NORMS for individual work as teachers are conferencing.
Have out your Homework Notebook
Reminder- Aim for 47 norms.
Bonus- Start to think of Anecdotes that Support your I Believe Statements.
- Table share-
- Groups share out 1
SLT- I can draft anecdotes for my This I Believe Essay.
Circle the Verbs. Underline the Nouns
True Fiction- Tell it like a story. Make up some details.
Show not Tell- context tells, anecdotes show.
Put the reader in your shoes
Use first person (I, Me, We, Us)
Set the scene
Feature a problem
Include some dialogue
Model- On my first day of high school, going into math class, two of my classmates pointed and laughed at me. I initially thought my fly was open, or that something was stuck in my teeth. But as I took my seat, I heard one of the students whisper, “Why is a black person taking Honors?” So my fly wasn’t open. An honors level class had simply been joined by a student whose skin was an unsettling shade of brown.
1) Think about your life. Write down some of the best anecdotes.
2) Go Back through past “I Believe Statements” and “I am” Statements from Do Nows.
- Read through them and think about what you believe.
- Choose the 3 you’re most passionate about. Re-list with context about the belief.
- Think of anecdotes that go with them.
3) Try drafting your own This I Believe Essay. We want 3 separate This I Believe’s before we make a first draft.
- HW Reminder–
- Homework starts tonight. 30 Minutes of Reading, 2-3 Sentence Reaction/Summary, 1 Page of Independent Writing