Circle Around The Room-
Announcement- Writing Conferences are continuing.
- Norms from yesterday.
- Ready to work
- Thinking hard – remember that at some point in your life, something interesting happened to you.
- Learning Comes First Full Body.
- Reminder- The Red Norm!!!!
- Same Groups – Ace, King, Queen, Jack, 10, 9,
- TAKE OUT ELA HW
Timer- “Passing Me By” – The Pharcyde (1991, 5:03)
DO THIS- Prompt– Draft a quick anecdote about something that happened yesterday (on field studies, or after school or at night)
Have out your Homework Notebook
Bonus- Start to think of Anecdotes that Support your I Believe Statements.
- Table share-
- Groups share out 1
SLT- I can draft anecdotes for my This I Believe Essay.
Circle the Verbs. Underline the Nouns
True Fiction- Tell it like a story. Make up some details.
Show not Tell- context tells, anecdotes show.
Put the reader in your shoes
Use first person (I, Me, We, Us)
Set the scene
Feature a problem
Include some dialogue
- Tell an anecdote:
- about a scar.
- about the most trouble you’ve ever been in.
- about your most embarrassing moment
- about a time you were frustrated.
- about a time you were proud.
- about a time someone was proud of you.
- about a time someone was mad at you.
- about a time you let someone down.
- about a time you wasted or lost money.
- about a time you made a friend.
- about a time you lost a friend.
2) Go Back through past “I Believe Statements” and “I am” Statements from Do Nows.
- Read through them and think about what you believe.
- Choose the 3 you’re most passionate about. Re-list with context about the belief.
- Think of anecdotes that go with them.
3) Try drafting your own This I Believe Essay. We want 3 separate This I Believe’s before we make a first draft.
- HW Reminder–
- Homework starts tonight. 30 Minutes of Reading, 2-3 Sentence Reaction/Summary, 1 Page of Independent Writing