Timer- “Liquid Swords” -GZA (1995, 4:09) – I’m not in my feelings.
Prompt- Write a short anecdote about a time when a tradition got you really angry?
Examples- It was 1987 and my mom borrowed a video recorder from work to record me singing to my cousin during Christmas. I knew at a young age that I wasn’t a good singer, and that I didn’t want to be recorded singing. My mom wanted me to hold my 2 year cousin and sing Rudolph to her. But I refused and stormed out of the room. I’ve hated getting my picture taken ever since.
SLT- I can write an objective summary of life in the extreme environments portrayed in “The Lottery.”
SLT- I can identify how author’s word choice impacts the mood and tone of a text.
Grapple Text- Read the Questions On the Back of “The Lottery” by Shirley Jackson – Circle any words that you do not know.
Short Video on Writing a summary- Take Notes on the key steps
- Think about the main points of “The Lottery.” Write an objective summary of this historic text.
- Compare your summary to your notes.
- Class Work- Questions 1-3, 7
- If we finish early, Let’s look at something cool for the last 10 minutes of class.
- Homework starts tonight. 30 Minutes of Reading, 2-3 Sentence Reaction/Summary, 1 Page of Independent Writing