Timer- “Elastic Heart” Sia (2014, 4:07)
Analyze the following quote- “Is it better for a man to have chosen evil than to have good imposed* upon him?”
― Anthony Burgess,
Interpret the quote into your own words.
Do you agree or disagree with this and why?
Share with your partner
- Partner shares partner
SLT- I can identify key elements of a dystopian society and evaluate an author’s purpose for creating one in fiction.
SLT- I can visualize and reread portions of difficult text.
SLT- I can use annotation strategies while reading a mysterious or difficult text.
REVIEW LYONS WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU READ HANDOUT
- lyons-revised-poster-what-to-do-when-you-read #2, #3 and #4
- To me, these are things you do when you’re REreading as much as when you’re reading.
- Modeling on our MYSTERY TEXT
- REread Together 172-174
Now that we’re reading and we have a sense of what’s happening:
underline key points or ideas
quickly summarize what you think is important about what you underlined or…
ask a question about what you underlined.
- Independent Work- 5 Minutes
- Re Read 175-177 and
- underline Key Points or Ideas – Goal of 3
- Quickly summarize what you think is important about what you underlined.
- ask a question about what you underlined.
Continuing Reading 177-184
Read Aloud Work-
- Circle words that you’re unsure of.
- Stop and sketch scenes that you’re visualizing.
- List all of the vocabulary words that you circled in your notebook.
- Sketch and Label what you are visualizing. Aim for 4 drawings.
- Make sure Mr. B has checked your homework.
- HW Reminder–
- Homework starts tonight. 30 Minutes of Reading, 2-3 Sentence Reaction/Summary, 1 Page of Independent Writing