Timer- “Give Thanks And Praise” Bob Marley and The Wailers (1979, 4:07)
Opener- 10 minutes
List 5 or more things that you are thankful for.
Elaborate on your list by giving context and/or anecdotes about each.
Share at tables
SLT- I can identify key elements of a dystopian society and evaluate an author’s purpose for creating one in fiction.
SLT- I can visualize and reread portions of difficult text.
SLT- I can use annotation strategies while reading a mysterious or difficult text.
REVIEW LYONS WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU READ HANDOUT
- lyons-revised-poster-what-to-do-when-you-read #2, #3 and #4
- To me, these are things you do when you’re REreading as much as when you’re reading.
Now that we’re reading and we have a sense of what’s happening:
underline key points or ideas
quickly summarize what you think is important about what you underlined or…
ask a question about what you underlined.
Continuing Reading 177-184
Read Aloud Work-
- Circle words that you’re unsure of.
- Stop and sketch scenes that you’re visualizing. put a page #
ELA QUIZ Pages 179-184
- List all of the vocabulary words that you circled in your notebook.
- Sketch and Label what you are visualizing. Aim for 2 drawings. Put a Page #.
- Re Read ON HANDOUT
- underline Key Points or Ideas – Goal of 3
- Quickly summarize what you think is important about what you underlined.
- ask a question about what you underlined.
Make sure Mr. B has checked your homework.
- HW Reminder–
- Homework starts tonight. 30 Minutes of Reading, 2-3 Sentence Reaction/Summary, 1 Page of Independent Writing