Timer- “Gone Till November” Wyclef Jean (1997, 3:27)
Analyze the following quote- “He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.”
1984 — George Orwell
Interpret the quote into your own words.
Do you agree or disagree with this and why?
Share with your partner
- Partner shares partner
SLT- I can identify key elements of a dystopian society and evaluate an author’s purpose for creating one in fiction.
SLT- I can visualize and reread portions of difficult text.
SLT- I can use annotation strategies while reading a mysterious or difficult text.
- Mystery Text Revealed! In the 8th grade students at Lyons read The Hunger Games!
- Who has read the book?
- The Trilogy?
- Seen the Movies?
- There are some key differences between the movie and the book which will hopefully be revealed over the next 4 weeks.
Read Aloud- Hunger Games Chapter #1 Pages 3-25
- Read Aloud Work-
- Jot Down words that you’re unsure of in your notebook
- Stop and sketch scenes that you’re visualizing.
Independent work – ReRead Chapter #1
- List all of the vocabulary words that you circled in your notebook.
- Sketch and Label what you are visualizing. Aim for 4 drawings.
- Make sure Mr. B has checked your homework.
- HW Reminder–
- Homework starts tonight. 30 Minutes of Reading, 2-3 Sentence Reaction/Summary, 1 Page of Independent Writing