Timer- “Creep” TLC (1992, 4:17)
Prompt- Turn to Page 8 of The Hunger Games- Describe Katniss’s appearance?
Copy the quote.
Sketch Katniss and Gale. Be as detailed as possible.
Share with your partner
- Partner shares partner
SLT- I can identify key elements of a dystopian society and evaluate an author’s purpose for creating one in fiction.
SLT- I can visualize and reread portions of difficult text.
SLT- I can use annotation strategies while reading a mysterious or difficult text.
Yesterday- we talk about how to annotate when we have reading questions.
- Step 1- Read the questions first.
- Step 2- Have the questions in your mind when you read.
- Step 3- As you’re reading, when you see something that makes you think, either as answer to a question or as a just a general thought, put a post-it note in the book.
- Step 4- After you’re done reading the chapter, go back to your post it note see why you put a post it there.
Today we’re going to review some of the characters and then look ahead to Chapter III
Review Questions for Chapter III
- Who visits Katniss in the Justice building? What are two items given to her?
- What are Mocking Jays?
- What is the significance of Haymitch to Peeta and Katniss?
- Describe what happens after the anthem is played.
- How are District 12’s actions at the reaping described by the TV Commentators?
- Where is the Capitol located? Where geographically (which state or states) in North America would it be located?
- Why is Katniss so focused on her appearance in front of the reporters?
- Chapter #3
- Page 34
- Class Work- Switch to Alliance Groups.
- Answer Chapter III Questions.
- Fill out Chapter III Character Tracker
- Answer Chapter II Questions in your notebook.
- Create Chapter I Character Chart in your notebook
- characters- Gale, Madge, Greasy Sae, Primrose, Katniss’s mom
- Chapter I Summary
- Chapter II Summary
- Chapter II Character Tracker-
- Effie Trinket, Peeta, Haymitch
Reading- Chapter III
- HW Reminder–
- Homework starts tonight. 30 Minutes of Reading, 2-3 Sentence Reaction/Summary, 1 Page of Independent Writing