Timer- “Never Going Back” -Fleetwood Mac (1977, 2:53)
Prompt- Use the following words in a few sentences or a paragraph of your choosing- Contemporary, Consciousness, Distinguish, credence, unpremeditated, unrelenting.
- contemporary- modern; of the present time
- consciousness- being alert
- distinguish- to tell apart; to recognize as different
- credence- believing something is true
- unpremeditated- not thought out
- unrelenting- not stopping
SLT- I can analyze in detail how childhood wartime experiences had an impact on Beah’s or Ung’s life.
SLT- I can consider how the author introduces, illustrates, and elaborates upon the events.
Directions- When you are finished copying turn to page 300 of your book and begin reading.
5 minutes- Grapple Text- An Excerpt from from “Babes in Arms” by William Boyd from The New York Times Book Review.
- Read Page 301 on your own.
- Answer Question 2 in your notebook
Closer look at Question 2
Describe the setting of this story?
- What is the question asking?
- Where does the story take place? and what’s going on?
- Where am I looking for information and what am I looking for?
- Mostly the first paragraph.
- Words that indicate where the main character is and what’s going on.
- How do I answer this question?
- Babes In Arms is a memoir, written from a first person perspective, of a young man’s childhood in wartime Africa.
- Read Pages 301-305
- Answer questions in your notebook.
- Questions 3, 5, 6, 8, 10, 13
- If you finish early, work on the other questions?.
-3, 7, 13 Done using ELMO
Exit Ticket- Express whether Boyd feels that people should read Beah’s autobiography. List three details that helped you come to a conclusion about Boyd’s opinion of Beah’s book.
- HW Reminder–
- Homework starts tonight. 30 Minutes of Reading, 2-3 Sentence Reaction/Summary, 1 Page of Independent Writing