Timer- “Just Friends” -Musiq Soul-Child (2000, 4:03)
Why do you think your family moved to the United States?
Who is your first family member to move to America and why did they come?
5 Share at your tables-
Full class- share what your partner said.
SLT- I can analyze in detail how childhood wartime experiences had an impact on Ung’s life.
SLT- I can consider how the author introduces, illustrates, and elaborates upon the events.
SLT- I can visualize and reread portions of a difficult text
10 Mini Lesson-
What are some of the reasons why people might want to move to The United States- Adding to our list
Copy them in your notebook.
— Answering the Purple Questions in the Text —
Purple Questions are Titled “Key Ideas and Details” – Turn your book to Page 312
- I see these words and it signals to my brain that I’m looking for important things.
- I see that there are paragraph #’s in bold
- I see verbs that I know- identify, infer, describe,
- So basically, PURPLE is looking for main ideas in paragraphs – This is when we visualize what’s happening, and and write it down.
5 Model- ReRead Aloud from “First They Killed My Father” by Loung Ung
Answer Question #3 together.
Answer Question #6 together.
20 Class Work-
- Read Pages 313-323
- Sketch and Label what you’re visualizing for the Purple Questions. Even if you answered them.
- Answer questions in your notebook.
- Purple and Green Questions.
- If you finish early, work on the other questions?.
#14 Done using ELMO
4 Exit Ticket- Summarize what the author’s life is like in the village. What can you infer about how her new life is different from her old life?
- Homework starts tonight. 30 Minutes of Reading, 2-3 Sentence Reaction/Summary, 1 Page of Independent Writing