Timer- “I Think I Love You” -The Partridge Family (1970, 3:01)
Prompt- Create a list any conflicts that you think take place in families.
I can identify ways that the American Dream affects families.
- Table share
- Divide a page in your notebook into 4 quarters.
- Put a heading of Four Freedoms in each quarter.
Freedom of Speech Freedom of Worship
Freedom from Want Freedom from Fear
We’ve been looking at The American Dream as it relates to a variety of texts and within our own families.
- Today we’re going to begin exploring The American Dream as it relates to the American family.
- Start out by looking at my list-
- Money issues- not enough, people make different amounts
- communication issues between family members
- grief- losing a loved one
- too many choices and too much information
- different education
- Now, watch how I try to put my list into our Four Freedoms grid.
Spend 5 minutes adding to your Do Now list, and then putting each entry into your grid.
Class Work I-
Work with your group to create a master grid, that includes everyone’s ideas.
Class Work II-
Watch “A Raisin In The Sun.”
As you watch, jot down any notes on family issues that are coming up as the Younger family chases their American Dream.